Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


St Mary the Virgin, Addington

Denomination:
C of E - Claydon Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Aylesbury Vale District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (Winslow & Villages)
Building Location:
Addington (2 miles NW of Winslow)
Nearest Post Code:
MK18 2JR
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 74260 28491
Latitude & Longitude:
51.94996, -0.92091  Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:
Other Web Site Links:

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notable Features:
14C Arcades and Chancel Arch. These are the only substantial parts of the interior of the medieval church that survive.
Perp West Tower. This is the only exterior part of the medieval church that survives.
†1700Monument - Sir John Busby. Cartouche with trophies and a portrait bust above. Sculptor was Nicholas Bigee. (it was possibly by Bigee).
†1725 made 1753Monument - Rev Thomas Busby & wife Ann. He was the son of Sir John Busby, and Rector of Addington from 1693 until his death in 1725, She died in 1745. Their Monument was not erected until 1753. Sculptor was John Michael Rysbrack. (signed and dated by Rysbrack).
†1798Monument - Anne Busby & Jane Busby (sisters). They died in 1798 and 1800, and were the daughters of Rev Thomas and Ann Busby. Sculptor was Humphrey Hopper.
1856-8 Restoration and Rebuilding. The church was extensively restored, which involved rebuilding the Porch, Aisles and Clerestory, as well as building a new Chancel and Vestry. Architect was George Edmund Street.
1856-8 Font. A new font was fitted as part of the Restoration work. Designer was George Edmund Street.
1897Monument - J G Hubbard Sculptor was E Roscoe Mullins.
1926-30 Refurnishing. The South Aisle and then the Chancel were refurnished and panelled. Architect was Sir Charles Nicholson.
Images of some of the Notable Features in St Mary the Virgin, Addington

Thank you for visiting,
This page is a placeholder, more information will be added in the future.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy