Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


St Mary & Nicholas, Chetwode

Denomination:
C of E - Claydon Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Aylesbury Vale District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (Buckingham & Villages)
Building Location:
Chetwode (4 miles SW of Buckingham)
Nearest Post Code:
MK18 4LB
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 64048 29798
Latitude & Longitude:
51.96298, -1.06924  Map
CofE ACNY Web Site:

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notes on Stained Glass:Chetwode church has 3 windows with stained glass. Two of them give us a flavour of what must have been a spectacular sight, with the Sanctuary of a 13th century Priory having 11 tall lancets of colourful and ornately decorated glass in superbly carved stonework. There are still important remains of the old glass now gathered in the S window. In the E window is good 1866 glass which well replicates the style of the original glass.

Introduction to Church:The church is a remarkable survival cared for by a very small community. Although the tower and entrance might look routine, the interior reveals itself as the surviving chancel of a former Priory church. The carved stonework around the tall lancet windows at the East end is of remarkable quality and detail. The church has an assortment of fittings from various eras, but overall will always impress those who appreciate it, as a very special survival that has now stood for nearly 800 years.

Notable Features:
from 1245 Priory built.
late 13C Painted decoration under E window. It has been overpainted at a later date.
early 14C N Chapel added.
1480 Priory granted to parish as their church. This followed Dissolution after 1460.
c1600 All except the old Chancel of the Priory was demolished.
c1600 W wall built and NW Tower cum Porch added. This followed the demolition of the rest of the Priory church.
early 17C Painted Triptych with Bible Quotes.
†1668Monument - Mary Risley.
1689-1702 Royal Arms (William III) Painted on wood panels, (3.5 ft square).
Images of some of the Notable Features in St Mary & Nicholas, Chetwode

Thank you for visiting,
This page is a placeholder, more information will be added in the future.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy