Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


St Lawrence, Chicheley

Denomination:
C of E - Newport Deanery
Local Authority UA:
Milton Keynes UA
Building Location:
Hall Lane, Chicheley (2 miles NE of Newport Pagnell)
Nearest Post Code:
MK16 9JH
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 90455 45861
Latitude & Longitude:
52.10369, -0.68075  Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notable Features:
early 14CNave.
early 14CN Arcade and Aisle.
15CCentral Tower. The tower possibly replaced an earlier central tower.
16CClerestory.
†1558Brass to Anthony Cave and his wife.
c1560Brass to ? Cave (name uncertain). Skeleton in Shroud.
1576Monument to Anthony Cave †1554 and his wife. Monument erected in 1576. Sculptor was Thomas Kirby.
†1635Monument to Sir Anthony Chester and his wife.
†1697Wall Monument to Sir Anthony Chester.
†1704Wall Monument to Ann, wife of Sir John Chester.
1708Chancel rebuilt in a Classical style. Built in memory of Sir John Chester's first wife, Anne Wollaston. Maker was James Oldfield. Mason working for Sir John Chester
c1710Chancel Furnishings. Maker was Francis Baxter. Carpenter working for Sir John Chester.
19CUnusual monumental tiles to members of the Chester family.
1904Rood (on Ringing Gallery). Designer was John Ninian Comper.
1909New Vestry. Architect was Edward Swinfen-Harris.

Thank you for visiting,
This page is a placeholder, more information will be added in the future.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2021 Michael G Hardy