Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Craftsman Names by KeywordShow Help...

Sir George Gilbert Scott

Sir George Gilbert Scott RA (13 July 1811 - 27 March 1878), styled Sir Gilbert Scott, was a prolific English Gothic revival architect, chiefly associated with the design, building and renovation of churches and cathedrals, although he started his career as a leading designer of workhouses. Over 800 buildings were designed or altered by him. Scott was the architect of many iconic buildings, including the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras Station, the Albert Memorial, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, all in London, St Mary's Cathedral, Glasgow, the main building of the University of Glasgow, St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh and King's College London Chapel. Born in Gawcott, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, Scott was the son of a cleric and grandson of the biblical commentator Thomas Scott. He studied architecture as a pupil of James Edmeston and, from 1832 to 1834, worked as an assistant to Henry Roberts. He also worked as an assistant for his friend, Sampson Kempthorne, who specialised in the design of workhouses,a field in which Scott was to begin his independent career. He was inspired by Augustus Pugin to participate in the Gothic revival. While still in partnership with Moffat. he designed the Martyrs' Memorial on St Giles', Oxford (1841), and St Giles' Church, Camberwell (1844), both of which helped establish his reputation within the movement.

 5 churches with features by Sir George Gilbert Scott - Architect

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
St Michael and All Angels Aston Sandford 1877: Restoration Plans by George Gilbert Scott. GG Scott made plans for the restoration, but died in March 1878. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. As a boy, GG Scott visited his grandfather (Thomas Scott) at Aston Sandford. South side of the church.
St Mary Aylesbury 1849: Restoration (Roofs and Interior). Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
St Mary Aylesbury 1866: Restoration (Exterior). Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
Holy Trinity Bledlow 1876-77: Restoration. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
St Peter & Paul Buckingham 1865-6: New Chancel. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
St Peter & Paul Buckingham from 1868: Extensive Alterations to Nave and Aisles. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
St Mary Chesham 1886-9: Restoration. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy