Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Craftsman Names by KeywordShow Help...

Edward Swinfen-Harris

Edward Swinfen Harris was a distinguished architect with a national reputation. Nicholas Pevsner described him as "the only outstanding local architect working in the north of the county (Buckinghamshire)." He worked in London as well as Stony Stratford and although his legacy is predominantly local there are surviving buildings in London, Dorset and Northamptonshire. In the course of his career he designed many fine houses in North Bucks which are still standing today. He was born on July 30th 1841 at 36, High Street, Stony Stratford. His father was the clerk to the town bench of magistrates, the Board of Guardians and other bodies and Edward was the eldest son. He was then sent to Ullathorpe House School in Leicestershire, where he boarded. Around 1858 he was apprenticed to the book trade. He didn't stay long and rather like his contemporary, Thomas Hardy, the poet and novelist, became articled to an architect in London. On completion of his apprenticeship he then shared an office in London with two friends but in 1868 he returned to Stony Stratford to make additions to the vicarage of Wolverton St. Mary and also to Calverton Limes. In the following years he was greatly involved in ecclesiastical architecture, restoring many churches.

 One Church with features by Edward Swinfen-Harris - Designer

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
All Saints Calverton 17C: Royal Arms, carved in wood and painted, probably from the restoration of 1871-2. The inscriptions below must date from the time of Edward VII. Designer was Edward Swinfen-Harris.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy