Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Craftsman Names by KeywordShow Help...

George Edmund Street

George Edmund Street RA (20 June 1824 - 18 December 1881), also known as G. E. Street, was the son of a London solicitor, and he was educated to follow in his father's footsteps, but in 1840, less than a year after his father's death, he was articled to a Winchester architect, Owen Browne Carter. From 1844 he was assistant to George Gilbert Scott, and in 1849 he set up his own practice. In 1852 he moved to Oxford, only returning to London in 1856. Stylistically, Street was a leading practitioner of the Victorian Gothic revival. Though mainly an ecclesiastical architect, he is perhaps best known as the designer of the Royal Courts of Justice, on the Strand in London. He also designed Stained Glass for many churches.

 7 churches with features by George Edmund Street - Designer

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
St Mary the Virgin Addington 1856-8: Font. A new font was fitted as part of the Restoration work. Designer was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Chalfont St Peter 1854: Font. Designer was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Chalfont St Peter 1854: Reredos (stone). Designer was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Chalfont St Peter 1854: Pulpit (of wood, unusually for Street). Designer was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Chalvey (Slough) 1860-1: Stone Pulpit. Designer was George Edmund Street.
All Saints Coleshill 1861: Font. Designer was George Edmund Street.
All Saints Coleshill 1861: Pulpit (wood on a stone base). Designer was George Edmund Street.
St Nicholas Cuddington 1857: Pulpit. Designer was George Edmund Street.
St Nicholas Cuddington 1857: Reredos. Designer was George Edmund Street.
All Saints Hulcott 1861-1863: Pulpit. Designer was George Edmund Street.
All Saints Hulcott 1861-1863: Font (new bowl on older base). Designer was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Ilmer 1860: Reredos. Made of Bournemouth stone inlaid with Porphry and Marble. Designer was George Edmund Street.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy