Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Craftsman Names by KeywordShow Help...

John Piper

John Egerton Christmas Piper, 13 December 1903 - 28 June 1992, painter, printmaker and designer of stained-glass windows and theatre sets. From 1950 Piper began working in stained glass in partnership with Patrick Reyntiens, whom he had met through John Betjeman. Their first completed commission, for the chapel at Oundle School, led to Basil Spence commissioning them to design the stained-glass Baptistry window for the new Coventry Cathedral (1957-61). They produced an abstract design that occupies the full height of the bowed baptistery, and comprises 195 panes, ranging from white to deep blue. John Piper and Patrick Reyntiens went on to design large stained glass windows for the Chapel of Robinson College, Cambridge, and Washington National Cathedral, as well as windows for many smaller churches. Their most monumental piece was the Lantern Tower at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral (1963-7), for which 150 panels were made 12ft wide, each weighing up to one and a half tons, at Reyntien's studio Burleighfield House, Loudwater, High Wycombe. John Piper is buried at Fawley, Buckinghamshire, close to his home at Fawley Bottom Farm. There is a gallery dedicated to John Piper's work at the River and Rowing Museum, Henley.

 One Church with features by John Piper - Artist

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
St Mary the Virgin Chilton 1727-1760: Royal Arms (George II) Painted on canvas (5.75 x 6 ft). Repainted by John Piper in 1966. Artist was John Piper.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy