Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Feature text by Keyword Show Help...

Index of Royal Arms

Royal Arms - The display of Royal Arms was not made compulsory until Charles II's restoration in 1660, when Samuel Pepys records "how the King's Arms are every day set up in the houses and churches", but there is plenty of evidence, from Henry VIII's reformation onwards, that parish churches were actively encouraged to put them up. Even during Catholic Mary's short reign they were to be set up in a less prominent place, and it was only during Cromwell's Commonwealth that they were abolished to be replaced by State Arms. A survey of Bucks churches in 1637, makes frequent mention of the absence or faulty position of the Royal Arms.


 15 churches with 16 Royal Arms

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
St Mary Amersham 1975 Royal Arms (Elizabeth II) Plaster (2.5 ft square).

St Peter Astwood 1830-1837 Royal Arms (William IV) Painted on canvas (4.5 ft square).

St Margaret Biddlesden 1723 Royal Arms.

All Saints Bisham (Berks) 1760-1820 Royal Arms of George III.

Holy Trinity Bledlow 1952 Royal Arms (Elizabeth II) Painted on wood (4.5 x 3.5 ft). Erected to commemorate the Queen's Accession. Artist was C O Skilbeck.

Top
St Mary Bletchley (MK) 1702-07 Royal Arms (Queen Anne) Carved in oak and unpainted (4 ft square). They were probably on a Screen fitted in 1704-07 by Browne Willis. Architect was

St Lawrence Bradwell, Old (MK) 17C Royal Arms (Stuart) Carved in wood and originally left unpainted (1.25 x 1.5 ft). The two supporters have lost their hind legs. Artist was Harry Stammers. The Royal Arms were moved and painted by Harry Stammers in 1966.

St Peter & Paul Buckingham 1760-1801 Royal Arms (George III) Carved in wood and possibly originally gilded (2.25 x 1.25 ft). Probably made for the new church in 1780. Artist was Restored, painted and moved in 1962.

All Saints Calverton 17C Royal Arms, carved in wood and painted, probably from the restoration of 1871-2. The inscriptions below must date from the time of Edward VII. Designer was Edward Swinfen-Harris.

St Peter Chalfont St Peter 1966 Royal Arms (Elizabeth II) Carved and Painted, (4 x 4.5 ft). Made from old pews. Maker was Colin Smithells.

Top
St Nicholas Chearsley 1714-1801 Royal Arms (early Hanoverian) painted on N Wall (6 x 7 ft). Only discovered under whitewash in 1950s, when they were repainted by M F Bell. Artist was Michael C Farrar Bell.

1816-1837 Royal Arms, late Hanoverian, on W Gallery.

St Mary & Nicholas Chetwode 1689-1702 Royal Arms (William III) Painted on wood panels, (3.5 ft square).

St Mary the Virgin Chilton 1727-1760 Royal Arms (George II) Painted on canvas (5.75 x 6 ft). Repainted by John Piper in 1966. Artist was John Piper.

St Nicholas Cublington 1743 Royal Arms (George II) Painted on wooden panels in attractive frame (6.25 ft square).

Top
St John Evangelist Lacey Green 1825 Royal Arms of George IV (5 ft square).
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2021 Michael G Hardy