Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by Morris & Co. - Maker

Morris & Co. (1861-1947) Set up by William Morris (1834-96) as Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co., originally with (among others) Edward Burne-Jones, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Ford Madox Brown and Philip Webb in 1861. From 1865 the workshops were in Bloomsbury, and when in 1875 the firm changed its name to Morris & Co., Burne-Jones became the principal designer. In 1881 the workshops moved again, to Merton Abbey. John Henry Dearle, joined Morris and Co. as an apprentice in 1879, and was head designer for the firm by 1890. On Morris's death in 1896, Dearle became Art Director of the firm, which changed its name again to Morris & Co. Decorators Ltd. in 1905. Dearle managed the company's works at Merton Abbey until his own death in 1932. 'Revolutionary in its beginnings, and extremely influential in terms of design and quality'. The firm finally closed in 1947. They had no connection whatsoever with William Morris & Co. of Westminster, that firm having been founded by William Thomas Morris.

8 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Chancel S lower St Mary in Chesham 1900 Edward Burne‑Jones
Morris & Co.
Details Chancel N lower St Mary in Chesham Edward Burne‑Jones
Morris & Co.
Details Chancel S (W) St Leonard in Chesham Bois 1913 John Henry Dearle
Edward Burne‑Jones
Morris & Co.
Details S wall [E2] Cemetery Chapel in Datchet 1909 WE Stokes
Howard
Edward Burne‑Jones
Morris & Co.
Top
Details Contemplated design for East window St Martin in Dunton Design drawn after Blomfield's death in 1857 Morris & Co.
Details N aisle N (W2) St Mary in Farnham Royal 1868 Ford Madox Brown
Morris & Co.
Details S Wall (E3) Holy Trinity in Hazlemere 1923 John Henry Dearle
Morris & Co.
Details Vestry St Barnabas in Linslade, New 1864 P Webb
Morris & Co.
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2019 Michael G Hardy