Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Makers Marks by R O Bell

Reginald Otto Bell (1896-1950), son of J C Bell. Trained at Sir Arthur Cope's School of Art in Kensington. Joined Clayton & Bell in 1907, and was made a partner in 1918. The London stained glass firm of Clayton & Bell was founded in 1855 and continued until as recently as 1993. The founders were John Richard Clayton (1827-1913), and Alfred Bell (1832-95), who entered into a partnership with Clayton in 1856, having previously worked in the studio of George Gilbert Scott. By 1859 the firm was soon pre-eminent among the stained glass designers and manufacturers of the time, when this glass was in huge demand. As a large-scale producer, catering to the market for decorative schemes in churches and grand secular buildings alike, the firm had 300 employees in its Regent Street workshop. The firm continued under Bell's son, John Clement Bell (1860-1944), then under Reginald Otto Bell (1884-1950) and lastly Michael Farrar-Bell (1911-1993) until his death. (Jacqueline Banerjee, www.victorianweb.org)

1 Window

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details S Aisle S (W) St Mary in Haddenham 1949 R O Bell 
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2019 Michael G Hardy