Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Makers Marks by Alexander Gibbs

Alexander Gibbs (c.1831-1886) was one of three sons of Isaac Alexander Gibbs (1802-51) who became stained-glass designers. The family firm was established around 1848, but split in 1858. Alexander Gibbs' studio was still functioning as Alexander Gibbs & Co. until 1915. Among his major commissions was the west window of St Mary Magdalene, Taunton (1862) and that for All Saints, Margaret Street (1877). He was a close collaborator of William Butterfield. The earliest commission Butterfield seems to have entrusted to Gibbs was about 1860, St John's, Newbury, Berkshire, now destroyed. Gibbs was also a talented artist on tile. In 1874 he executed tile panels for the north wall of All Saints, Margaret Street, and c.1865 had executed a wonderfully colourful set known as 'The Shakespeare', possibly for a Manchester pub. His own workshop, The Bloomsbury Stained Glass Works, was originally in London at 38 Bedford Square, but moved in 1876 to Bloomsbury Street.

3 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Nave S (C) St Lawrence in Broughton (MK) †1864 Alexander Gibbs
Details East St Anne in Dropmore 1866 Alexander Gibbs
Details Chancel S (W) All Saints in Milton Keynes, Village †1864 Alexander Gibbs
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2019 Michael G Hardy