Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Joseph (RC), Chalfont St Peter

Important Church Note:
Also known as Gerrards Cross
Denomination:
RC - Northampton Diocese - S E Bucks Pastoral Area
Local Authority District:
Chiltern
Address of Church:
Austenwood Lane / Bull Lane, Chalfont St Peter (SW side)
Nearest Post Code:
SL9 8RY
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SU 99691 89985
Latitude & Longitude:
51.59989, -0.56204  Map
Church Web Site:
Other Web Site Links:

Notes on Church:
The original church was designed by the architect Percy Aiden Lamb, and work started just 26 days before the outbreak of the 1st World War. Only one Aisle and a Chantry or Side Chapel were built, in an ornate Gothic Revival style, being opened in July 1915. It was then 48 years before the church was given a very large extension by the architect Percy Kelly, in a modern style based on a concrete structure, which opened in 1963.

Introduction to Stained Glass:The Chantry Chapel, part of the 1915 building, has 4 stained glass windows, but their date or maker is not known. There are another 3 stained glass windows which were presumably installed for the 1963 extension, but again we cannot be sure of the maker. The authorities at the church are trying to find this information for www.buckschurches.uk.


CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

WINDOWS

Click on a thumbnail to go to a page for each window

Thumbnail Code   Location Type Subject(s) Date Craftsmen
Details 02 Nave E (S) 3 lights Joseph (holding a model of this church) in his Carpenter's Shop c1963
Details 05 Nave S (W4) 2 lights Quarries in 4 colours.
Details 10 West Rose Geometric pattern c1963
Details 15 Side chapel W 3 lights Angel, Risen Christ, Angel, "I am the Resurrection and the Life"
Top
Details 16 Side chapel N (W) 4 lights Angel, St Teresa, St Antony, Angel 1931
Details 17 Side chapel N (E) 4 lights Angel, St Teresa, St Christopher, Angel 1931
Details 18 Side chapel E Roundel Archangel Gabriel
Details 19 Nave E (N) 3 lights Angel, Virgin Mary, Angel c1963
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2019 Michael G Hardy