Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Makers Marks by W Aikman

William Aikman (1868-1959) was born in Edinburgh and was an apprentice with Ballantine and Son. He taught stained glass at Camberwell after the First World war, and had been a designer for James Powell & Sons. Whilst working for James Powell & Sons he designed the beautiful mosaics in Guy's Hospital Edwardian chapel. Aikman started his own studio in 1913 at No. 7 Camden Square. London NW1, where he worked until 1933. He then moved to Carshalton in Surrey, designing countless windows in his garden studio. William Aikman was a founder member of the British Society of Master Glass Painters in 1921.
Arthur Buss became apprenticed to William Aikman in 1919 and worked with him until 1937, when he started work on his own.

1 Window

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details East St James the Great in Bierton 1947 W Aikman
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2019 Michael G Hardy