Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Mary, Ballinger

Denomination:
C of E - Wendover Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Chiltern District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (Missendens)
Address of Church:
Blackthorne Lane, Ballinger (2 miles NE of Great Missenden)
Nearest Post Code:
HP16 9LN
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 91040 03230
Latitude & Longitude:
51.72041, -0.68347  Google Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:

Notes on Church:
The brick and flint building was built as a 'school and lecture room' for the poor by Mr A E Watson of The Lee Manor in 1873. It was also used for village events until a Village Hall was built in 1926. It then became a Mission Church, used jointly by the Church of England and a Free Church. It is now one of 3 churches in the parish of Great Missenden. More...
The Porch and Kitchen were added to the church in 1986.

Introduction to Stained Glass:The small church has a very small high east window. There are also seven other windows which all have cathedral glass with coloured patterns. The glass in the seven large windows was all installed in 1953 in memory of Elspeth Curphey Kingdon, who we believe died in London on 26th November 1952. The glass in the east window may also date from 1953. Currently we do not know the maker of any of the glass. More...
As most of the glass is clear, although mottled, the colours of the exterior features are very noticeable on the photos. However this would have always been the case from inside the church, so we have not attempted to disguise that.


CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

(Links may not work on some mobile devices)


WINDOWS

Click on a thumbnail to go to a page for each window

Thumbnail Code   Location Type Subject(s) Date Craftsmen
Details 01 East 1 light Virgin and Child
Details 03 South (W) 1 light Coloured decorative patterns with a central cross. 1953
Details 04 West (S) 1 light Coloured decorative patterns with an emblem of a crown. 1953
Details 05 West (N) 1 light Coloured decorative patterns with an emblem of flowers. 1953
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy