Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Mary & St Nicholas, Saunderton

Denomination:
C of E - Aylesbury Deanery
Local Authority District:
Wycombe
Address of Church:
Bledlow Road, Saunderton (1 mile SW of Princes Risborough)
Nearest Post Code:
HP27 9GN
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 79554 01886
Latitude & Longitude:
51.71008, -0.85001  Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:

For details of this church on our "Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire" website, please click here


Introduction to Stained Glass:The church has about 8 windows with glass dating from around its 1888 restoration, with just one stained glass one, the East Window by Ward & Hughes. The other 7 have interesting alternating panels of rectangular and diamond quarries, some plain and some tinted glass. 5 of them have decorative leadwork in their heads. There are another 3 undated stained glass windows, one of which is by A L Moore.


CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

WINDOWS

Click on a thumbnail to go to a page for each window

Thumbnail Code   Location Type Subject(s) Date Craftsmen
Details 01 East 3 lights The church is dedicated to Saints Mary and Nicholas, who feature in the outer lights of the window. 1888 Ward & Hughes
Details 04 Nave S 2 lights Fleur-de-lys Quarries, within a heavy border.
Details 05 S Porch E 6 lights Panels of Quarries with decorative head. 1888 Pepper & Boyes
Details 07 W - lower 2 lights Panels of Quarries with decorative heads and tracery. Probably 1888
Top
Details 08 W - upper 1 light Panels of Quarries with decorative head. Probably 1888
Details 09 Nave N (W) 3 lights Symbols and emblems, including those of the 4 evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
Details 10 Nave N (E) 2 lights Panels of Quarries with decorative heads and Tracery.
Details 11 Chancel N (W) 1 light Sancta Fides, St Faith after 1905 A L Moore
Top
Details 12 Vestry N 2 lights Panels of alternating square and diamond Quarries in clear glass. 1900
Details 13 Vestry E 1 light Panels of square and diamond Quarries in tinted glass, with a yellow border. 1900
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2019 Michael G Hardy