Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

Search Craftsman Name by Keyword Show Help...

Windows by A E Buss - Designer

Arthur E. Buss, 18th June 1905 - 1st December 1999
Arthur Buss was awarded a special Art Scholarship to Camberwell School of Art. In 1919 he became apprenticed to William Aikman, who taught stained glass at Camberwell and who had been a designer for James Powell & Sons. Aikman started his own studio in 1913 at No. 7 Camden Square. London NW1, where he worked until 1933. He then moved to Carshalton in Surrey. designing countless windows in his garden studio. Buss worked with Aikman until 1937, when he started work on his own. In 1933 and 1935 several of Buss' designs were exhibited. at the Royal Academy.
During WW2 Arthur Buss served in the No.10 Non-Combatant Corps, and designed the 1944 Christmas card sent out by No.10 NCC. In October 1945 he was asked by James Clark and Eaton to launch a new stained glass studio in some old premises at 51 Kingsland Road. Shoreditch, which soon grew into one of the largest studios in London, under the name of Goddard & Gibbs.
Arthur Buss completed 24 years in the studio, designing many hundreds of memorial windows of great merit for cathedrals and churches all over the world, especially in the former colonies. In Malawi, for instance, there is a famous window of his, depicting David Livingstone. St. Olave's Church, Hart Street, Lancing College, St. Mary's Torquay, St. Mary's Teddington, All Saints, Upper Norwood, and St Andrew's, Kingsbury, also contain fine examples of his work. Arthur Buss designed a whole series of windows for the Bunyan Meeting House in Bedford, depicting scenes from the Pilgrim's Progress.

4 Windows, listed in Church Order

Sort Windows by Date

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Nave N (C) St James in Gerrards Cross 1951 A E Buss
Details S Wall (E1) Holy Trinity in Hazlemere 1963 A E Buss
Details S Wall (E2) Holy Trinity in Hazlemere 1963 A E Buss
Details S aisle S (E) St Paul in Wooburn †1963 A E Buss

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2023 Michael G Hardy