Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Return to Church: St Mary, Linslade, Old (N of town) or select another window

Window: 01, East, St Mary, Linslade, Old (N of town)

Important Church Note:
In 1965 Linslade was transferred from Buckinghamshire to Bedfordshire, and from the Diocese of Oxford to the Diocese of St Albans.
Location in Church:
East
Type:
3 lights
Subject(s):
Joseph, Nativity & 1 King, 2 Kings
Date Made:
1897
Craftsman:
Sources for Dates & Craftsmen:
Makers Mark
Dedicated to:
60th year of Queen Victoria's Reign
Donated by:
Henry Finch paid for East window with restoration of church to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
Makers Mark on Window:
Notes on Window:
The East window is reputed to have previously had glass showing a King (possibly Henry VI or VII), a Queen, St John, Cardinal Wolsey, and a Dove. The fragments in windows 03 and 06 (and other loose fragments in the church) may have been part of the earlier East window.

 


Click on a Thumbnail to go to that image,
Then use links to scroll through images, go to any window, or go to church page.

  Thumbnail
 Image
Click for Details
Window in situ
Click for Details
Overall View of Glass
Click for Details
Centre light: Nativity Scene with 1 King
Click for Details
Centre light: Close up of figures
Top
Click for Details
Centre light: Close up of King and Baby Jesus
Click for Details
LH light: Joseph
Click for Details
RH light: Close up of Joseph
Click for Details
RH light: Close up of 2 Kings
Top
Click for Details
Inscription at base of 3 lights: "They Presented Unto Him Gifts Gold Frankincense & Myrrh"
Click for Details
Centre Light: Canopy in Head of Light
Click for Details
Makers Mark: "Cakebread Robey & Co, 86 High St, Stoke Newington, London"
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2022 Michael G Hardy