Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Return to Church: St John the Baptist, Little Missenden or select another window

Window: 16, N chapel S, St John the Baptist, Little Missenden

Location in Church:
N chapel S
Type:
1 light
Size (width x height):
0' 11" x 5' 7" or 0.28m x 1.69m
Subject(s):
St Hilda of Whitby, Caedmon
Date Faculty Granted:
6 May 1940
Date Made:
1940
Craftsmen:
Sources for Dates & Craftsmen:
Makers Mark
Dedicated to:
Richard Elliott Palmer, died 1931 More...
Donated by:
Miss Helen Palmer, sister of Richard Palmer More...
Makers Mark on Window:
Notes on Window:
The stonework of this window, and two others, dates from the 14th century, but was buried in the wall in 1711, and discovered when the plaster was removed in 1939.

 


Click on a Thumbnail to go to that image,
Then use links to scroll through images, go to any window, or go to church page.

  Thumbnail
 Image
Click for Details
Window in Situ
Click for Details
Overall View of Glass
Click for Details
Top of window - the names are of Bishops who trained at Whitby Abbey, a double monastery for males and females.
Click for Details
St Hilda of Whitby (born c614, died 680) - The goose at her feet is her usual symbol.
Top
Click for Details
Close up of St Hilda, Abbess of Whitby 656-680, standing in front of the Medieval Abbey, built around 600 years later.
Click for Details
Base of window
Click for Details
Caedmon (reputedly the first British poet whose name is known) sings to nuns and Hilda, the Abbess.
Click for Details
Closer view of Caedmon singing. He had become a monk, and was written about by Bede.
Top
Click for Details
Inscription
Click for Details
Makers Mark: The A K Nicholson Stained Glass Studios, GER Smith (Invt)
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy