Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Return to Church: Holy Trinity, Penn or select another window

Window: 01, East, Holy Trinity, Penn

Location in Church:
East
Type:
3 lights
Size (width x height):
6' 5" x 9' 8" or 1.95m x 2.95m
Subject(s):
St Michael, Christ in Majesty, Gabriel
Date Faculty Granted:
2 March 1931
Date Made:
1931
Craftsmen:
Craftsman - Notes:
The window was drawn by Hugh Lewis Pawle, and his wife Margaret Florence Pawle, who both worked for the AK Nicholson studio for 30 years. Hugh Lewis Pawle was the younger son of Lewis Shepheard Pawle and Angelina Burgess Pawle of Hutchins Barn, Knotty Green, Penn, Bucks. As shown below, the window is also dedicated to members of the Pawle family, and donated by them.
Sources for Dates & Craftsmen:
Makers Mark
Dedicated to:
In memory of Angelina Burgess Pawle (died 4th Feb 1930, Mentone, France) and her daughter Ina Margaret Pawle (died 1916, aged 21). They were Hugh Lewis Pawle's Mother and Sister.
Donated by:
This window was given by Lewis Shepheard Pawle and Hugh Lewis Pawle. They were husband and son of Angelina Burgess Pawle, father and brother of Ina Margaret Pawle.
Makers Mark on Window:
Makers Mark - Notes:
Makers Mark says: "This window was drawn by Margaret and Hugh Pawle at A.K.Nicholson's Studio's 105 Gower Street WC1. In the event of the dorsal ever being removed please apply to the above for the complete design".
Notes on Window:
There are images of three previous windows in the last thumbnails.

 

Previous Windows

Previous Window Information:
Date Installed: 1865 - Date Removed: 1931
In 1931 the glass was moved from Penn to the North Transept at Penn Street (window 18).
Previous Window Craftsman:
Previous Window Information:
Date Installed: 1737 - Date Removed: 1865
The window's subject was: 'Christ Making Himself Known to his Disciples at Emmaus' (Luke 24:30). The window was replaced in 1865 when a new East wall of flint was built by the first Earl Howe. This information is from a 1965 book by Sidney M Gold, called "A short account of the life and work of John Rowell".
Previous Window Craftsman:

 


Click on a Thumbnail to go to that image,
Then use links to scroll through images, go to any window, or go to church page.

  Thumbnail
 Image
Click for Details
Window in situ
Click for Details
Overall View of Glass
Click for Details
Three main lights
Click for Details
Centre Light: Portraying Christ in Majesty
Top
Click for Details
Centre Light: Figure of Christ in Majesty
Click for Details
Centre Light: Angels
Click for Details
Left Hand Light: portraying St Michael
Click for Details
Left Hand Light: Detail of St Michael weighing the souls during The Last Judgement
Top
Click for Details
Right Hand Light: Portraying Gabriel
Click for Details
Right Hand Light: Detail of Gabriel
Click for Details
Tracery at top of window
Click for Details
Tracery - Pelican in top light
Top
Click for Details
Tracery - Angels in lower lights
Click for Details
Inscription and Base of Window (previously hidden behind a dorsal cloth)
Click for Details
Makers Mark with inscription giving instructions for having the window completed if the dorsal cloth was removed
Click for Details
Memorial Tablet which is fitted beneath window 03 in the South Aisle. It states the new East window (01) was fitted in memory of Angelina Pawle and her daughter Ina.
Top
Click for Details
PREVIOUS WINDOW 1865 to 1931
This is a postcard image of the 1920s.
The glass was replaced by the 1931 glass which was more in keeping with new altar arrangements, introduced by a new Vicar.
Click for Details
PREVIOUS WINDOW 1865 to 1931
This is our reconstruction of how it would have looked.
Click for Details
PREVIOUS WINDOW 1865 to 1931
This photo shows the glass from Penn, which is now in Penn Street church.
In 1931 the glass was moved from the E window at Penn to the North Transept at Penn Street (window 18).
Click for Details
PREVIOUS WINDOW 1737 to 1865
This shows the window in interior and exterior paintings of c1850 by H.B.Ziegler.
The window was replaced in 1865 when a new East wall of flint was built by the first Earl Howe.
Top
Click for Details
PREVIOUS WINDOW 1737 to 1865
The subject was 'Christ Making Himself Known to his Disciples at Emmaus (Luke 24:30).
We now know that it was made by John Rowell, and was probably his last piece of work before moving from Wycombe to Reading.
Click for Details
PREVIOUS WINDOW - POST REFORMATION to 1737
This shows the window in a 17th century drawing of the exterior.
This window was replaced in 1737 when a new brick Chancel was built by Sir Nathaniel Curzon.
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2021 Michael G Hardy