Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Paul, Bledlow Ridge

Denomination:
C of E - Wycombe Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Wycombe District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (North West Chilterns)
Address of Church:
Chinnor Road, Bledlow Ridge (5 miles NW of High Wycombe)
Nearest Post Code:
HP14 4AX
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SU 79752 97741
Latitude & Longitude:
51.67278, -0.84808  Google Map
CofE ACNY Web Site:

For details of this church on our "Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire" website, please click here


Notes on Church:
Bledlow Ridge had its first chapel-of-ease in 1801 to the north of the village. It was replaced on a more central site in 1834. The second chapel was replaced by the current church opening in 1868, designed by the architect David Brandon. It is a plain but bright building of flint walls with stone dressings, at a time when brick dressings were more common in the Chilterns. The side windows of nave and chancel are all Early English lancets, but E and W windows have Geometrical Decorated tracery.

Introduction to Stained Glass:Just 3 windows have stained glass, but all are notable. They are windows by Mayer & Co, Geoffrey Webb, and the largest window in Buckinghamshire to be designed by John Piper and made by Patrick Reyntiens.


CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

(Links may not work on some mobile devices)


3 WINDOWS

Click on a thumbnail to go to a page for each window

Thumbnail Code   Location Type Subject(s) Date Craftsmen
Details 01 East 3 lights The Good Shepherd 1904 Mayer & Co.
Details 08 West 3 lights Abstract 1968 John Piper
Patrick Reyntiens
Details 10 Nave N (E3) 1 light St Michael 1926 F E Howard
Geoffrey F Webb
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2021 Michael G Hardy