Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


St Peter, Astwood

Important Church Note:
In 2021 permission was granted for residential use
Denomination:
Was a CoE church, closed in 2015
Local Authority UA:
Milton Keynes UA
Building Location:
Main Road, Astwood (5 miles NE of Newport Pagnell)
Nearest Post Code:
MK16 9JS
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 95051 47375
Latitude & Longitude:
52.11653, -0.61325  Map

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notable Features:
14C S Aisle & Arcade, Chancel Arch, N Doorway.
14C Font. Plain octagonal bowl with various designs on a square base. The S side includes a Staffordshire Knot which can represent arms crossed in prayer.
†1409Brass - Roger Keston.
Dec S Aisle, Decorated Style. The windows were repaired in 1988.
Dec W window. The window was moved to the Tower when it was built.
Perp W Tower
†1534Brass - Thomas Chibnale and 2 wives.
†1640 made 1685Monument - Samuel Cranmer and his second wife. He died in 1640, Mary his second wife died in 1684. He was a descendant of the elder brother of Thomas Cranmer, 16C Archbishop of Canterbury.
†1743Monument - Margaret Lowndes. Daughter of William and Margaret Lowndes.
†1764Monument - Margaret Lowndes. Wife of William Lowndes. Sculptor was John Vidler. (Probably by Vidler).
†1775Monument - William Lowndes. Sculptor was John Vidler. (Signed by Vidler).
18c Pulpit, with a carved panel that was probably a later addition.
1830-1837 Royal Arms (William IV). Painted on canvas (4.5 ft square).
1885 Choir stalls with unusual decoration on end panels.
1940 Church damaged by a bomb. The Nave Roof and S Porch suffered the most damage.
1963 New concrete Nave Roof.
Images of some of the Notable Features in St Peter, Astwood


This church was closed in 2015, in January 2021 permission was given for residential use.


Below are a few images of this church, more information will be added in the future.
no image

Exterior from South. The church was closed in 2015, and it was put on the market.

no image

Exterior from North West.

no image

Interior looking East. The concrete roof of 1963 is clearly visible which was eventually fitted following stray bomb damage in 1940.

no image

Interior looking West. All these photos were taken after the church had closed.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy