Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


All Saints, Hillesden

Denomination:
C of E - Buckingham Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Aylesbury Vale District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (Buckingham & Villages)
Building Location:
Church End, Hillesden (3 miles S of Buckingham)
Nearest Post Code:
MK18 4DB
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 68566 28752
Latitude & Longitude:
51.95303, -1.00369  Map
CofE ACNY Web Site:

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notes on Stained Glass:Following the damage during the Civil War, varying amounts of 15th or 16th century glass now survive in 7 windows, but are only a small fraction of what must have been a remarkable display. More...
There is no precise date for any of the glass, however it was very likely to have been fitted in the rebuilt church on completion in 1495. Experts are certain that it dates from the reign of Henry VII, so to be sure it is generally termed as 16th century glass. The E window of the S transept has a lot of old glass that somehow survived, and we show it in great detail, together with 1875 drawings showing which parts had already been replaced by non-matching glass.

Introduction to Church:Apart from its mid 15th century tower, Hillesden church was rebuilt between 1493 and 1495, probably by the local Courtenay family and Notley Abbey. More...
It is a large and splendid church of the Perpendicular style, with large windows that were undoubtedly filled with magnificent stained glass. The N Chapel contains monuments of the Denton family whose large Mansion was just to the east of the church. The remote Hillesden House and Church became an outpost of Royalist forces during the Civil War, being attacked twice by Parliamentary forces, including Oliver Cromwell in 1643. The house was destroyed and the church suffered badly, particularly most of its glass. In the 1820s, Hillesden church was a young George Scott's favourite place to visit and study. In the 1870s he fittingly returned to restore the church that had inspired him to become the prolific architect Sir George Gilbert Scott.

 

A few images of this church, more information will be added in the future.
no image

Exterior from North.

no image

Exterior from South.

no image

Interior looking East.

no image

Four of the angels playing music at the top of the NE corner of the Chancel walls.

no image

South wall of the Chancel.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2021 Michael G Hardy