Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Holy Trinity, Penn

Denomination:
C of E - Amersham Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Chiltern District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (Beaconsfield & Chepping Wye)
Building Location:
Church Road, Penn (3 miles NE of Beaconsfield)
Nearest Post Code:
HP10 8NY
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SU 91639 93280
Latitude & Longitude:
51.63088, -0.67741  Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:
Other Web Site Links:
Holy Trinity Penn Heritage Site 100+ articles on the history, monuments and memorials of Holy Trinity, Penn.

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notes on Stained Glass:9 windows have stained glass, nearly all from the 20th century, including 6 made by Archibald Keightley Nicholson.

Introduction to Church:A church which has developed since the late 12th century, and still has evidence from over 800 years, such as the 13th century south arcade cut from an earlier wall. Other memorable features are the 600 year old Queen Post Roof of the Nave, and Doom Painting (only re-discovered in 1938), and a fine selection of wall monuments from the 18th and 19th centuries to members of the Penn and Curzon families. Since 2002, examples of some Penn tiles can again be seen in the church, in a display set into the Lady Chapel floor. The famous local tiles were mass produced in vast numbers in the 13th century.

CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

 

A few images of this church, more information will be added in the future.
no image

Exterior from North West.

no image

Exterior from South East.

no image

Interior looking East.

no image

A closer view of the 600 year old Queen Post Roof of the Nave.

no image

Doom Painting above the Chancel Arch. The lower part dates from around 1430, and the brighter upper part dates from around 1480.

no image

Chancel, which was largely rebuilt in the mid 18th century.

no image

A display of the famous local 13th century Penn tiles (and parts of tiles) in various patterns. They are in the Lady Chapel at the end of the South Aisle.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy