Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


St Peter & Paul, Buckingham

Denomination:
C of E - Buckingham Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Aylesbury Vale District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (Buckingham & Villages)
Building Location:
Castle Hill, Buckingham
Nearest Post Code:
MK18 1EU
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 69468 33777
Latitude & Longitude:
51.99810, -0.98956  Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notable Features:
1705 Brass Chandelier moved here. Browne Willis had donated the Chandelier to the old church in 1705.
1777-81 New church built on new site. Church built to replace medieval church after collapse of central tower. Architect was Francis Hiorne. (Probably by Hiome).
1760-1801 Royal Arms (George III) Carved in wood and possibly originally gilded (2.25 x 1.25 ft). Probably made for the new church in 1780. Restored, painted and moved in 1962.
1865-6 New Chancel. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
from 1868 Extensive Alterations to Nave and Aisles. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.
to 1883 Alterations completed at W end. Architect was John Oldrid Scott.
1884 W gallery added. Architect was John Oldrid Scott.
19C Spire added to Tower.
1916 Lady Chapel fittings. Designer was Sir Charles Nicholson.
Images of some of the Notable Features in St Peter & Paul, Buckingham


A few images of this church, more information will be added in the future.

no image

Image courtesy of Warren Whyte.

Buckingham's Mediaeval church before its spire collapsed in a storm in 1698. Despite the spire not being rebuilt, the tower then collapsed less that 80 years later, in 1776.

no image

This is the site of the medieval church, which was removed after it was decided to rebuild a new church on a new site.

no image

The site chosen for the new church was the old castle site, up the hill from the old churchyard.

no image

The new church has dominated the skyline of Buckingham since it was finished in 1780.

no image

Image courtesy of Warren Whyte.

This is the exterior of the Georgian church, whose architect was probably Francis Hiorne. Notice that it has no Chancel.

no image

Image courtesy of Warren Whyte.

The interior is very characteristic of the Georgian era, with its three decker Pulpit, box pews, galleries down each side, and a barrel vaulted ceiling elaborately decorated in plaster.

no image

Photo by Rex Harris.

The church we see today looks very different. After 80 years there were cracks in the walls which were also leaning outwards, and problems with the ceiling. George Gilbert Scott was called in, but it was not until 1865 that work could begin on building large buttresses to support the walls. A Chancel and S Porch were also added to the church, and all was now done in the Gothic style.

no image

Photo by Rex Harris.

The Gothic Revival is very evident inside, with new columns for the arcades, which unusually alternate between limestone and black marble. They support the original roof structure above and a wooden vaulted ceiling below. That in the Chancel was painted blue in 1967.

no image

Photo by Rex Harris.

This view is looking to the West, a view which changed in 2001, when the Gallery was moved forward by one bay, to accommodate other rooms at the West end.

no image

Photo by Rex Harris.

This is a closer look at Scott's very elegant Vaulted Nave Ceiling in redwood. It has foliage bosses, and ribs that rest on the capitals of the stone columns. Right at the end is a glimpse of the similar vaulted ceiling in the Chancel, which was painted blue in 1967.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy