Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Craftsman Names by KeywordShow Help...

Sir Charles Nicholson

Sir Charles Archibald Nicholson, 2nd Baronet (27 April 1867 - 4 March 1949), was an English church architect. He was the son of Sir Charles Nicholson, 1st Baronet, and brother of the stained glass artist Archibald Keightley Nicholson and of Sir Sydney Hugo Nicholson, organist at Westminster Abbey and founder of the Royal School of Church Music. He was married to Evelyn Louise Olivier (1866-1927), aunt of the actor Sir Laurence Olivier. Nicholson lived in Blackheath until 1912, and then moved to Southend in Essex. He later moved to Headington in Oxford. Nicholson trained as an architect under J. D. Sedding until the latter died in 1891. For a short time Nicholson worked for Henry Wilson, but then set up his own practice. Hubert Corlette later joined him and was a partner until 1916. From 1920 Nicholson worked with Theodore Rushton. Nicholson's works include 42 new churches, nine new chapels and work on nine cathedrals, including St Anne's Cathedral, Belfast where he was cathedral architect 1924-48. Numerous other churches were altered or restored to his designs, and he designed a large amount of church furnishings. Most of his work was in England, but he worked also in Wales, Northern Ireland, Jamaica and South Africa. He was also an accomplished watercolourist who exhibited at the Royal Academy on 32 occasions.

 One Church with features by Sir Charles Nicholson - Designer

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
St Peter & Paul Buckingham 1916: Lady Chapel fittings. Designer was Sir Charles Nicholson.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy