Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


St Peter, Chalfont St Peter

Denomination:
C of E - Amersham Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Chiltern District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (Denham, Gerrards Cross & Chalfonts)
Building Location:
Church Lane, Chalfont St Peter
Nearest Post Code:
SL9 9RA
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
TQ 00049 90873
Latitude & Longitude:
51.60781, -0.55663  Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:

For details of this church on our "Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches" website, please click here


Notable Features:
†1545Brass - Robert Harrison? Robert Harrison was Vicar 1532-45.
†1592Brass - Robert Drury.
1708 Collapse of Tower destroys medieval church, only a few stones now remain.
1714-18 Rebuilding of complete church in brick.
†17??Hatchment - Sir Thomas Saunders.
18C/19CHatchments - Unidentified Hatchments, 3.
c1800 Churchyard Iron Railings and Gate.
†1822Hatchment - Captain William Gaskell.
†1827Hatchment - Sophia Hibbert. (née Boldero), of Chalfont Park.
†1843Hatchment - General Terence O'Loghlin. of Chalfont Grange.
1852-54 Re-modelling of church, with new windows, larger Chancel, and new S Aisle. Architect was George Edmund Street.
1854 Reredos (stone). Designer was George Edmund Street.
1854 Font. Designer was George Edmund Street.
1854 Pulpit (of wood, unusually for Street). Designer was George Edmund Street.
1887 South Porch added.
1965 Nave re-roofed and ceiling added. Architect was Colin Smithells.
1966 Royal Arms (Elizabeth II) Carved and Painted, (4 x 4.5 ft). Made from old pews. Maker was Colin Smithells.
Images of some of the Notable Features in St Peter, Chalfont St Peter

Thank you for visiting,
This page is a placeholder, more information will be added in the future.

Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy