Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Craftsman Names by KeywordShow Help...

George Edmund Street

George Edmund Street RA (20 June 1824 - 18 December 1881), also known as G. E. Street, was the son of a London solicitor, and he was educated to follow in his father's footsteps, but in 1840, less than a year after his father's death, he was articled to a Winchester architect, Owen Browne Carter. From 1844 he was assistant to George Gilbert Scott, and in 1849 he set up his own practice. In 1852 he moved to Oxford, only returning to London in 1856. Stylistically, Street was a leading practitioner of the Victorian Gothic revival. Though mainly an ecclesiastical architect, he is perhaps best known as the designer of the Royal Courts of Justice, on the Strand in London. He also designed Stained Glass for many churches.

 16 churches with features by George Edmund Street - Architect

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
St Mary the Virgin Addington 1856-8: Restoration and Rebuilding. The church was extensively restored, which involved rebuilding the Porch, Aisles and Clerestory, as well as building a new Chancel and Vestry. Architect was George Edmund Street.
This view shows the South side, the new Vestry was built on the North side of the Chancel.

St John the Evangelist Ashley Green 1873-4: New church built. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St James the Great Aston Abbotts 1865-6: Nave and Chancel rebuilt. Architect was George Edmund Street. South side of the Nave and Chancel.
Church of the Assumption Beachampton 1873-4: Upper part of Tower. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St James the Great Bierton 1852: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Botolph Bradenham 1863 & 65: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Burnham 1863-64: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Giles Chalfont St Giles 1861: Restoration of Chancel. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Giles Chalfont St Giles 1863: Restoration of Rest of Church. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Giles Chalfont St Giles 1867: Restoration of Exterior completed. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Chalfont St Peter 1852-54: Re-modelling of church, with new windows, larger Chancel, and new S Aisle. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Peter Chalvey (Slough) 1860-1: New church built. Street had designed the church in 1859. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Giles Cheddington 1855-56: Restoration including new roofs. Architect was George Edmund Street.
All Saints Coleshill 1860-61: New church built. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Thomas Colnbrook 1862-63: N Aisle added. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St Nicholas Cuddington 1856-7: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street.
All Saints Hulcott 1861-1863: Restoration including New Roofs. Architect was George Edmund Street.
St James Bradwell, New (MK) 1857-60: New church built. Architect was George Edmund Street.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2022 Michael G Hardy