Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Search all Craftsman Names by KeywordShow Help...

John Pollard Seddon

John Pollard Seddon FRIBA (19 September 1827 - 1 February 1906) was an English architect, working largely on churches. His father was a cabinetmaker, and his brother Thomas Seddon (1821-1856) a landscape painter. He was educated at Bedford School. J. P. Seddon was a pupil of Thomas Leverton Donaldson, though Donaldson was a classical architect and Seddon preferred the Gothic Revivalism of John Ruskin. Between 1852 and 1863, Seddon formed a partnership with John Prichard. Many of their major commissions were church restoration works, most famously for Llandaff Cathedral. In 1871 he submitted a design in a competition for Holloway Sanatorium. C. F. A. Voysey was articled as a pupil of Seddon in 1873. From 1884 to 1904 he was in partnership with John Coates Carter. In 1904 he was Diocesan Architect for London and designed a gigantic Imperial Monumental Halls, with a tall tower, to be added to Westminster Abbey. It was supposed to restore the dominance of the abbey over the surrounding crowd of towers and monuments. However, the cost of construction was prohibitive and it remained unbuilt. His works include the University College of Wales building in Aberystwyth; St Peter's Church, Ayot St Peter, Hertfordshire; St Catherine's Church, Hoarwithy, Herefordshire; and, with Prichard, the Church of St John, Llandenny; the 1858-9 rebuild of St Mary's Church, Aberavon, and limited extensions to Dingestow Court, Monmouthshire, including the stables. He was also a prolific designer of furniture, metalwork, stained glass, tiles and ceramics.

 2 churches with features by John Pollard Seddon - Architect

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
St Giles Chalfont St Giles 1884: Organ Chamber built. Architect was John Pollard Seddon.
St John Evangelist Lacey Green 1871: Chancel added. Flint exterior, Polychromatic brickwork interior. Architect was John Pollard Seddon.
St John Evangelist Lacey Green Looking down to the East wall of Nave and the Chancel with their very elaborate brickwork.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2023 Michael G Hardy