Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.


Notable Feature Images for St Mary the Virgin, Addington


Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
Features
 
14C: Arcades and Chancel Arch. These are the only substantial parts of the interior of the medieval church that survive.
Photo shows North Arcade & Chancel Arch.



Perp: West Tower. This is the only exterior part of the medieval church that survives.
Photo shows North side of Tower.



†1700: Monument - Sir John Busby. Cartouche with trophies and a portrait bust above. Sculptor was Nicholas Bigee. (it was possibly by Bigee).
This military memorial reflects that Sir John Busby was Colonel of the Bucks Militia.


The Inscription, which states that the monument was consecrated by his son Rev Thomas Busby.


†1725 made 1753: Monument - Rev Thomas Busby & wife Ann. He was the son of Sir John Busby, and Rector of Addington from 1693 until his death in 1725, She died in 1745. Their Monument was not erected until 1753. Sculptor was John Michael Rysbrack. (signed and dated by Rysbrack).
The monument was not erected until 28 and 8 years after the deaths of Rev Thomas and Ann Busby.


A putto stands by a broken column, which represents the broken Busby line, as Thomas Busby had no son. The putto holds a snake biting its own tail. Such a snake is a symbol of birth, death and re-birth.

The Inscription tells us that the monument was erected by Thomas and Ann's two daughters (Anne and Jane) in 1753.


Top
†1798: Monument - Anne Busby & Jane Busby (sisters). They died in 1798 and 1800, and were the daughters of Rev Thomas and Ann Busby. Sculptor was Humphrey Hopper.
The monument shows a woman kneeling beside 2 urns, reflecting the 2 sisters.


Closer view of Woman and Urns.

Arms and Inscription, which tells us that Anne had been married, but Jane had not. They had become co-heiresses of the Lordship and Manor of Addington.


1856-8: Restoration and Rebuilding. The church was extensively restored, which involved rebuilding the Porch, Aisles and Clerestory, as well as building a new Chancel and Vestry. Architect was George Edmund Street.
This view shows the South side, the new Vestry was built on the North side of the Chancel.


Return to St Mary the Virgin, Addington
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise


©2017-2024 Michael G Hardy